It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 am Advanced search

Feeling overwhelmed - Suggest what to do after starter pack

Topics about starter packages, visualizer or any other third party tools.
Please submit new language requests in the Language Request Forum.

Feeling overwhelmed - Suggest what to do after starter pack

Postby MiltonBradley » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I completed the starter pack, and I am overwhelmed with what to do. I incorporated a random direction aspect so they don't get stuck so badly, but I would like suggestions on how to improve the program. I checked out the BFS and A* pathfinding algorithms, and I understand the general concept, but I can't figure out how to apply it to ants successfully. I tried making a data structure of that map that contains which squares are land, unknown, and water. Is this more or less the right approach (I'm a newbie)? Please give me suggestions for small problems to tackle after completing the starter pack. Thanks!
MiltonBradley
Lieutenant

Re: Feeling overwhelmed - Suggest what to do after starter p

Postby vzero » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:07 pm

I think you are on the right track.

For either algorithms, you'll need to also track the neighbors of each location in the map or just get that information when you need it in the path finding algorithm. In A*, you'll also need an integer associated with each location to track its costs.

Remember to account for map "wrap arounds" when getting neighbor information.

For other strategies, I recommend taking a look at the AI Challenge's github wiki:
https://github.com/aichallenge/aichallenge/wiki

It has more information than on the AI Challenge site.
vzero
Cadet

Postby carlos.guia » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 pm

I also recommend checking the strategy forum here, it has a lot of information on how to get things going. There is a nice BFS tutorial and also look for the thread that says something like "ignoring pathfinding ... diffusion", if you haven't done any pathfinding that may be a very good place to start your development. I, and I think many others, switched from traditional pathfinding to collaborative diffusion to use in Ants, mostly because running BFS or A* can be time consuming as the army of ants grows.
carlos.guia
Lieutenant

Postby imargonis » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:34 am

You can also have a look here:

http://aichallenge.org/ants_tutorial.php
imargonis
Cadet

Return to Starter Packages & Tools