It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:51 pm Advanced search

Allow boost support

New Language? Want more libraries? Post Here.

Allow boost support

Postby Parasprites » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Would it be possible to get official boost support? It's possible to preprocess the boost headers so they'll compile under the server settings and then dump them all in the zip file along with the actual bot code, but this is a little inefficient. It would save bandwidth if people could just use a preexisting boost installation instead of including the entire boost source code with every single submission.
Parasprites
Major-General

Re: Allow boost support

Postby UnFleshedOne » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I second that. I had to extract a subset of boost and preprocess the headers just to get to shated_ptr... Makes my upload 500k...

I wish they had C++0x stuff enabled too...
UnFleshedOne
Cadet

Postby Parasprites » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:19 pm

They actually do have C++0x enabled now, at least the parts implemented in gcc 4.5
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby UnFleshedOne » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks! Writing Bla::const_iterator gets tedious after 10 thousand's time. :)
UnFleshedOne
Cadet

Postby Parasprites » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:55 am

So has there been any progress on supporting boost? It seems like a pretty simple change, and it's unlikely to break any bots. (Theoretically, someone could have called their own source files boost, causing a potential conflict, but that's easy to check for and has probably never happened anyway.)
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby Parasprites » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Bump because this is getting really annoying.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby jaman4dbz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:38 pm

I agree. Boost is cutting edge, and can help people have some real fun with there code.

Still there are some like myself that are in a weird situation, where their port installation is messed up and they are stuck on an older version of gcc on os x, who would prefer to simply use boost to solve there problem rather than installing a new version of gcc from source.

I actually created my bot using boost, then had to convert all my code to TR1 [again, old version of gcc].
Mind you, I ended up finding a new bug in the process... anyways enough rambling. boost is good, you support it in the last competition, so support it again!
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Parasprites » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:46 pm

By the way, I've created a script to fix the boost headers so they can be used without an include path. If you want to give it a try, it's in the tools forum.
Parasprites
Major-General

Return to Language Support