[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - C# Poll: Do you want your bot to get 50% to 200% faster?

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:11 am Advanced search

C# Poll: Do you want your bot to get 50% to 200% faster?

New Language? Want more libraries? Post Here.

C# Poll: Do you want the C# compiler to --Optimize=All to speed execution?

Yes, faster the better!
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 28

Re: C# Poll: Do you want your bot to get 50% to 200% faster?

Postby mac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:23 pm

I think the title of the thread was edited? The new wording made me think of an answer:

Switch to C! ;)

[sorry couldn't resist... yet it's only a joke, nothing serious!] :P
mac
Brigadier-General

Postby fvannee » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Is there already an update on this?

While I personally (luckily) don't have any timeout issues, I have quite a lot of experience with C# and the optimization compiler switch. In my opinion, the extra time needed to compile with the optimize flag is almost negligible. The speedup that it achieves is usually *a lot* though. So, both for speeding games up (faster execution of code means more games for everyone ;)) and for letting C# bots have less timeout problems, I am in favour of this compiler switch.
fvannee
Cadet

Postby Lithel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 am

While I would like to have my bot be 50% to 200% faster, what I would like even more is for it to compile. =)

I submitted my bot this morning and played a game with it, but as of recently, I now that this message on my bot.

"error CS2007: Unrecognized command-line option: `--optimize=all' "

I suspect it's related to this thread. =) Maybe a capitalization problem with the --optimize? Or maybe the particular compiler doesn't support this option at all?
Lithel
Cadet

Postby bryhansen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:11 am

I'm getting the same error on my commits now.

error CS2007: Unrecognized command-line option: `--optimize=all'

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks!
bryhansen
Cadet

Postby lama3oid » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:30 am

the same for me. current version already played 4 games successfully, but today I found that my rank was reset and my bot got this error...
error CS2007: Unrecognized command-line option: `--optimize=all'

would be good if you not only fix that, but also return last rankings, if it's possible, because only little time left until the end of the contenst and these 4 games took away one day + a lot of time was/will be wasted until this problem is solved.
...or maybe you could modify scripts a little bit that they would take into the game c# bots more often for next days.
and yep, I don't really count on that, but it would be fair to us. a lot of people lost their positions that were taken during many games and many days.
lama3oid
Captain

Postby Zaph » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:02 am

Zaph
Colonel

Postby lama3oid » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 am

lama3oid
Captain

Postby fvannee » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:04 am

Hmm, I'm not sure why it is even provided as '-optimize all'. I am used to .NET, not Mono, but from what I read online both compilers have the same command-line options. Thus the optimize option should be -optimize or -optimize+ (both are identical).

Then again, I just read that Mono does not implement many optimizations. The .NET compiler seems to be much better at this. LouisMartin, did you do your benchmarks with the Mono or .NET compiler?
fvannee
Cadet

Postby runevision » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:40 am

I think ALL C# bots are broken now, as I wrote about here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2066

If you look at the list of top ranked C# bots you can see that it's all bots that are disabled. Can anyone find a single non-disabled C# bot that's not broken due to this compile issue?

I can't believe how unprofessionally this has been handled so far.
runevision
Cadet

Postby zoat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Yep, all C# bots were broken...

I uploaded a new version and that helps. My bot plays again!

Annoying with lost ranking and as a consequence testing time. Especially at this late stage...

A bit unprofessional indeed. Any simple test case with C# code should have caught this problem.

Still you have to remind yourself: "Hey, its just a game!" :)
zoat
Cadet

Previous

Return to Language Support