[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Timeouts

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 am Advanced search

Timeouts

Questions and discussions about the current Ant Game Rules.

Timeouts

Postby Zedenstein » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 pm

I must say I'm starting to get a bit suspicious when timeouts often occur in quick succession - like in:

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... user=11308 <- 5-player game won on timeouts
http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... user=11308 <- Two bots in the same turn.

My bot cuts itself off at 485 ms, so I'm surprised when it times out. Anyway, the thing is that I suspect server problems contributing to timeouts. On my own laptop, my bot needs at least ~200 ants before it starts to have timeout issues and I should hope the servers are far better than my laptop.

Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Zedenstein on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zedenstein
Captain

Re: Timeouts

Postby erdman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Definitely server issues. The servers are virtual boxes with Amazon. There is no guaranteed minimum service level, just a target specification. In practice, the CPU resources that an instance receives at any point in time are dependent on the demands of your co-tenant(s).
erdman
Major

Postby Tortortor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:18 pm

The same. Timeouts.
Seems tonnes of new servers have very pour performance. As they are the Amazon containers, sounds like the more servers was ordered for the same money, so each "server" became less powerful.
Tortortor
Major

Postby Janzert » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Top bots timeout between 1% and 2%* of the time. So there certainly may be some server related timeouts. But for these bots that are timing out between 50% and 100% of the time the vast majority are pretty certainly from problems with the bots themselves.

* For the entire length of the contest top 10 bots have played 2983 times and timed out 62 of those for 2%. Since game 150,000 (roughly the last 30,000 games and since the beginning of the month) top 10 bots have played 652 times and timed out 9 of those for a 1.3% rate.
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby Tortortor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 pm

From "Server Statistics" page:

Games per minute
9.8 7.2 4.6
Last 5 minutes Last hour Last 24 hours

Game rate is two times higher from 24h, but amount of servers is decreased (was 21-22, now 19)

I want to hope everything is well, but please check it deeply.

EDIT:
top bot more precisely count their turntime, so server problems may less touch them as others
Tortortor
Major

Postby BenJackson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Timeouts are definitely bugged. In this game: http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=3473 I timed out on turn 594. Putting the same input into my bot with turn timing I see that turn only took (on my CPU) about 110ms to compute. Several other earlier turns were much more complex (which I suspected immediately when looking at the replay). Turn 464 actually took over 500ms on my system (slightly slower, and with debug enabled) and the 530s-550s were over 400ms for the most part. Nothing in the last 30 turns exceeded 200ms.

I would guess similar analysis would hold for GreenTea (orange there).

If my bot had been running it would have finished the turn. If it's not even running then it wouldn't matter what kind of "timer" code was in place because there's no guarantee you'd get to execute it.
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby erdman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:33 pm

erdman
Major

Postby LoneWolf » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:27 pm

I have too experienced some of this timeouts, including a game with 10 players where 4/5 of them timed out at the same time, a little too suspicious I would say.

I find it hard to believe it is a code issue, specially on mine, simulating some of the games I found nothing, I have always around 300ms remaining.
LoneWolf
Lieutenant

Postby zarkon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I've seen some timeout-related weird things too.

For instance, in two consecutive games (for me):

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 7&user=331
http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... 6&user=331

my opponents timeout at the same time, about the same number of turns into the game. I suspect that my timeout checking was doing somewhat better (yay for Common Lisp non-local exits), otherwise I would have timed out too.

Also, I've noticed some weird behavior in other games. My bot doesn't timeout, but it hurries some orders or gives up for the turn with the end result that my ants move every other turn. This is most likely my bot's fault (it spends too much time on some computation), but it didn't happen before (ever), and after seeing the two games above and now others reporting timeout problems I started wondering maybe it's not my bot after all.
zarkon
Lieutenant

Postby JG.WAS » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:30 pm

JG.WAS
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Game Specifications