[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Timeouts

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 pm Advanced search

Timeouts

Questions and discussions about the current Ant Game Rules.

Re: Timeouts

Postby BearOff » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:42 pm

When I saw so many servers (thanks, Totaalnet), I have uploaded current bot version at that very moment. Though I was not sure this version is 100% stable, I have almost never got timeouts with it or previous versions.

So when I saw all my games with weak bots ends up with my bot timeout (and not weak bots), I started to search own bugs - and have not found them still.

The longest possible bot's loop without time check is about 20 ms, and I use 0.9 of turntime to sent 'go' to server (and it always sends it in time on tcp servers and local games).
I'm still not 100% sure that it's not my fault, by should notice.
BearOff
Colonel

Postby bluegaspode » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Hmmm ... two games with timeouts as well on the very first turn (and this bot version played without any timeouts before):

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=6481

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=6481

Running my bot with the game input yields to 363ms / 302 ms on the very first turn. This on a 2.4GhZ MacBook Pro so less CPU than on the official servers?
But 150ms is a lot of time left actually, even when the workers have some slight variance.

Could one of the organizers run my bot against the input files of those games on one of the workers to double check. On Std-Err you will find some measurements like the total time used for that particular turn (due to the timeout this line isn't printed in the std-err logs I can see myself on the visualizer site).

It would be interesting if the workers really have such a such variance for the actual turn time.
bluegaspode
Colonel

Postby BearOff » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:29 pm

The possibility to see own bot's logs would give the key to the problem, I think. Wish it was implemented.
BearOff
Colonel

Postby AReallyGoodName » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:49 am

Put something along the lines of "if (timeRemaining() < 50) return;" in all of your functions and loops.
This way the worst that can happen is some ants don't move.
AReallyGoodName
Cadet

Postby BenJackson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 am

BenJackson
Colonel

Postby Zedenstein » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:12 am

Zedenstein
Captain

Postby JG.WAS » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:32 am

I don't know where is there problem or how to solve it, but i'm kindly sure that it's not in my Bot.

Can anyone (Admin or competitor) explain to me what happened in this game ? (my bot never went time-out from the 1st step, and it's almost impossible).

http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=8368
Edit (1): Maybe these servers don't like me :(
http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=8368

Edit (2): I know that it's not the final ranking and everything my change, but i am just wondering if we will have this kind of problem (which we can't handle) in the final tournament ?
JG.WAS
Lieutenant

Postby BearOff » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:14 pm

BearOff
Colonel

Postby romans01 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

We need game log file.
romans01
Major