[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Final and timeouts

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 am Advanced search

Final and timeouts

Questions and discussions about the current Ant Game Rules.

Re: Final and timeouts

Postby Hippo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't know why I have tought the games will be played in 1000ms per turn.
I let 200ms reserve not to time out ... it is rather waste when there is only 500ms per turn ... .
Next time I must make time for profiling ... most of my code just checks time not to timeout ... .
Hippo
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby lama3oid » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Ok, guys, that's my conslusion:

Don't know, what is the reason of my timeouts, but I think, next time admins should review versioning system at least to avoid the reason why I was unable to see the problem with my bot. It's not so important, when we have so many servers as now, but most time we had very low game rate. Having 1-4 games per day, I'd need more than a week just to see if my bot is working fine comparing to hi-end opponents, so the only way to see it would be to stop uploading newer versions in more than a week before finals (or even in 2 weeks in order to have one more week to test the fixed version).

Maybe in the next competition it would make sense to allow bots play with the opponents of the level, which would be close to last player's rank ? e.g., if you're in top100 and upload newer version, why you're starting from the very end ? For me it's ok that rating is being reset, but maybe server script should choose opponents at least from top200 ? so in the worst case, if you spoiled your bot in the latest version, you'll play 1-2 games with strong enemies, lose, and will continue in weaker games.
I don't know how the rating system works, but heard few times something about coeffs mu and sigma. if I got it right, these values (or one of them) somehow select, who are you going to fight in the next game. so maybe it makes sense to keep one of these variables and reset others ? I'm sorry if what I've just said doesn't make sense, but anyway, I hope, you've got the idea.

What to you think ?
lama3oid
Captain

Postby sasha.sochka » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:47 pm

sasha.sochka
Cadet

Postby lama3oid » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:32 am

lama3oid
Captain

Previous