[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - A decision has been made on the official map generator

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm Advanced search

A decision has been made on the official map generator

News items related to the AI Challenge

Re: A decision has been made on the official map generator

Postby Mistmanov » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:25 am

Mistmanov
Colonel

Postby antimatroid » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 am

You're right, the old maps were generated inside a square and these are generated inside a circle, giving the discrepancy, the max map radius is being changed to fix this, the maximum distance will be 34 again.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby Xrillo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:20 am

I like the change of maps!

Why on earth would someone assume that the first set of maps would be final when no such official statements have been made?

Sure, I feel bad for those of you who made specific code for the first set of maps... but still, this is an "Artificial Intelligence" contest.. there's more to intelligence than hardcoded data. ;)
Xrillo
Captain

Postby Torquemada2 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:48 pm

It's a good news about adding some interesting maps! Thank's to organizers for that move. These maps are more interesting for testing real AI strength of bots then point symmetric maps.

But there is another problem that they are too small and all have the center planet. So in a week many bots will be optimized for this set of maps. It'll be good to make maps more wild or at least add more difference in parametres of the maps. To increase upper bound to the number of all planets and size of the board. Make very dense and very sparse maps. Make maps with clasters of planets and makes very homogeneous maps. Make maps with only one type of planets and with planets with the same number of defence ships.

I think such difference of the map types will help to better test real bot's AI power.
Torquemada2
Captain

Postby McLeopold » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:14 pm

McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby antimatroid » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:40 pm

I don't think it's important that the planets fit inside a square box, only that the maximum distance is at least as large as before, and it's a one digit change to fix it to be inside a circle of radius 17.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby dimkadimon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:05 am

There is a bug in the latest mapGenerator.py. The line

num_ships = random.randint(minShips, 5*distance(p1, p2)-1)

can produce num_ships>100. I suggest changing it to num_ships = min(100, random.randint(minShips, 5*distance(p1, p2)-1)).
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby antimatroid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:24 am

Another nice catch, thanks.

ps: I'ma have my bot back up for Australia in a few days :)
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby RebelXT » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 am

antimatroid, here is why changing map generator two weeks before the deadline is/was a VERY BAD idea:

I have two major versions of my bot using different algorithms (let's say A and B). These two versions have totally different evaluation functions. I've run a full tournament between two bots on sets of maps generated using old and new generator.

OLD GEN: 49/35/16 (49 wins, 35 losses, 16 draws) - 58% win ratio when no draw
NEW GEN: 73/80/46 (73 wins, 80 losses, 46 draws) - 48% win ratio when no draw

So, as you see, my A bot is stronger than B on old set of maps, however A is much weaker than B on new set of maps. The main reason is probably addition of line symmetric maps, however at this point I'm not 100% sure. I've already spent half a day getting my A bot to match it's former record against the other version. It's wasted time for me at this point since there are other more interesting things to work on.

I would not oppose this change 4-8 weeks before the deadline. Just take a look at the poll results at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1087 .. Most people objected a change to map generator code, however it was still pushed to the official server 1 day after the poll went up.

Another major issue is that testing was disrupted. dhartmei's TCP server is still running maps generated using old generator. McLeopold set up a new server, but it's going to take time for people to migrate unless dhartmei gets a change to update the maps.
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby amstan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:11 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements