[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - A decision has been made on the official map generator

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:56 am Advanced search

A decision has been made on the official map generator

News items related to the AI Challenge

Re: A decision has been made on the official map generator

Postby lavalamp » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 am

200 maps with those two lines changed (radius and the random thing).

ETA: exact script used here: http://pastebin.com/zBafpvuM
Attachments
maps_rad_17.zip
(95.18 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
lavalamp
Colonel

Postby Xhilbert » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 am

Dear "organizers",

I am a maths teacher in a prestigious high school in France.
I decided to spend time on your game and I even asked some friends to participate too.

Changing the rules 2 weeks before the deadline is a shame.
You despise the competitors and they won't forgive you.
I regret having told my friends to waste their time trusting you and I regret having spent my time programming a strategy for guys as immature and disrespectful as you.

I don't have time to change my program anymore and one of my strategies based on the central planet is useless.

You did not write any definitive rules anywhere, that's true : so you consider that people have to program new strategies during the next 2 weeks ??? Who do you think you are ?

We aren't toys.

I suggest you do not organize any "international competition" anymore : you are clearly not mature enough.

Xhilbert.
Xhilbert
Cadet

Postby delt0r » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:38 pm

It was like that when I got here.
delt0r
Colonel

Postby Accoun » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm

stupid rules if u can change winer without changing rules
Accoun
Colonel

Postby RebelXT » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:12 pm

delt0r, i agree with you that organizers are doing a good job running this contest considering they are doing all the work in their spare time. kudos for this! <3 this challenge!

Negative side affects of late map generator change are still looming however. Testing is still disrupted. Just talk to mega1, mcleopold, accoun on IRC if you think I was just bitching about the change.

When top people see careless organizer responses like "we might change turn count or map generator logic at any time. your bots should be smart enough to deal with it", people just stop caring, and this is bad for the contest.
RebelXT
Colonel

Postby rangzen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm

rangzen
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Janzert » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 am

I've updated the generator with a few important fixes. I've tried to balance the size of the change and how serious of a problem it causes. The change is . Unless someone finds another problem with it, I'll generate some more maps for the server with it in the next day. After that I will do everything I can to stop any other changes being made to it.

Janzert
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby McLeopold » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 am

It looks like the line symmetry maps create clusters along the ends of the 2 lines more often then they should. I believe this is because of how the angle and radius are generated.

If an angle close to the line is selected with a small radius, then the two planets will probably be too close and thrown out. If a larger radius is selected, then they will probably be just far enough away and kept. This means for angles close to the line, there is more probability that a large radius will be selected, thus the clustering at the end points of the line.

The 0-5 center neutrals should compensate for this, but they have an even distribution throughout the line, so the endpoints will still have a higher probability. I believe the fix for this would be to merge 2 planets generated close to the line into 1 center neutral and remove the special 0 - 5 neutral generation code.

When generating for a point symmetrical map, the twin planet is always on the other side of the map, so no natural clustering happens.

This is a very small tweak. I don't mind clustering, but I don't think it should be predictable either.

Edit: After some discussion on IRC, I'm thinking the bias toward the ends of the line is not there, only that the 0-5 center planets may not be proportional in the area 1/2 the minimum distance to the center line.
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby McLeopold » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:48 pm

The code to produce a planet that can be taken even against RageBot sometimes puts the planet in the center, where it can be sniped. The leaves a few maps where the best move is to sit and wait. It think it is the contests best interest to produce maps that encourage activity and don't lead to obvious draw situations. (If we were guaranteed a round-robin with every bot, it wouldn't matter, but I know that is not feasible.)

The current code to produce a planet you can take against RageBot calculates a maximum number of ships based on the starting distance between home planets with regard to their growth rate (distance * 5). For a planet to be unsnipable you would need to calculate the expected number of ships before the enemy can hit with full force. So you would need the difference in the distances between the 2 home planets to the neutral with regard to the neutrals growth, assuming the enemy hits after 1 turn ((diff + 1) * growth). This would lower the maximum for planets near the center, and lower it to the neutrals growth rate if it was equidistant.

Edit: Also, there appeared to be an issue with maybe not using the real home planets.

http://pastebin.com/vGdn1pyC

Edit 2: That version produced an infinite loop if the planet ship count was always snipable regardless of location. New version.

http://pastebin.com/P2ktiwD6
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Postby lavalamp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:01 pm

+1 to both things McLeopold said.
lavalamp
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements