[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Ants is over!

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:53 pm Advanced search

Ants is over!

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Ants is over!

Postby Flapadar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:39 am

As only a first year CS student (With a prior interest in programming) I didn't expect to get very far in this. Ranked 3rd in the Lua category; good enough for me. My lecturers were very interested and gave me a few pointers (And had the good side effect of raising their expectations of me)

The contest was good fun, cheers for running it. Looking forward to the next one (I presume Autumn 2012?).

Edit: Scratch third, just bumped up to second in Lua, and 26th in Britain. I love this competition. And the obligatory: "I am the 4.88%".
Last edited by Flapadar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flapadar
Cadet

Postby formicivorous » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 am

A finish time of 7pm on the 22nd seems a bit optimistic right now with only 4 games played and my next game more than 24 hours away :-(
formicivorous
Cadet

Postby Flapadar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:03 am

Flapadar
Cadet

Postby luca_moller » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 am

It seems that the Java bots are sometimes timing out for no reason on the 1st turn.

It happened to my bot on the following game:
http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... user=13502

I took the input from the game and tested it on my computer (with the same version of the bot that I've uploaded). It runned just fine with nothing that could justify a timeout.

Then, in another game, it seems the same happened to an oponnent (rolfmao is his username) :
http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... user=13502

I've checked out, and he also uses Java.
Has anyone else spotted this?
luca_moller
Cadet

Trophies for the winners

Postby BenJackson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:36 am

I have a laser cutter and I was thinking of making trophies for the winners. This is my basic design idea:
award.png
award.png (12.38 KiB) Viewed 16642 times

Laser cut from 1/4" acrylic with engraving (the light color) and through-cuts for the "place" (the white). The bottom would be a 1/4" acrylic base (shown here edge-on). I picked orange due to the default first bot color but it could be clear or anything, really.

I could also add a line of engraving with the vital stats of the bot, and maybe make the whole thing bigger and with a multi-layer base for the first few places.

I'd provide these to anyone in the top 10 plus selected participants the community thinks made a special contribution, like those running TCP servers. For others I could sell them on request and donate the profits back to the challenge (if that's ever sorted). Unless all 8000 people want them and then we might need some alternate arrangement (get them mass produced without place numbers which I could add).
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby mas_gd » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:40 am

I've seen other java bots that timeout more frequently since the finals started.

My bot is in python and I know it's not the most optimized bot, but I'm seeing worse performance than before the finals started. In fact, I've done some local testing and the difference in performance I'm seeing is on the official server I'm getting 33% of the processing time I'm getting locally.

Looking at the server stats it seems that there are less servers than before (15 now and 20-23 before) but the game rate has almost doubled (5-6 games/min before vs 10-11 games/min now).

Just wondering if we could decrease the game rate such that the active bots get a little bit more CPU.

It's pretty funny seeing my bot get spurious extra CPU cycles and become active, then go back to barely ending the turn on time. (My replay for those interested: http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?game=283195)

Oh, and almost forgot. Congratulations for organizing such an interesting competition!!! It was really fun.
mas_gd
Cadet

Postby cowtippervirus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:54 am

cowtippervirus
Captain

Postby formicivorous » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 am

formicivorous
Cadet

Postby AReallyGoodName » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:54 am

I'm currently taking comfort in the fact that even Xathis hasn't had many games.

Although i'm jealous of the starter bots with 20+ games already eg. http://aichallenge.org/profile.php?user=6158
AReallyGoodName
Cadet

Postby swordfishBob » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:13 am

Hey, once the main finals are over, if the computing power is still available and someone hasn't lost enough of their life to this already, how about a "speed tournament" with a turn time of 100ms :D

Will all the final series game stats be available in one place that would facilitate other analysis e.g. looking to compare overall results with specific maps ? Identify maps that the stronger competitors struggled with?
swordfishBob
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy