[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Survival Mode

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:16 pm Advanced search

Survival Mode

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Survival Mode

Postby krzyk1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:57 am

krzyk1
Cadet

Postby iouri_ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 pm

iouri_
Brigadier-General

Postby dhartmei » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:38 pm

dhartmei
Colonel

Postby Wolftrak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Wolftrak
Cadet

Postby r0u1i » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 am

This thread grew to a very interesting discussion.
Back to my original question - I've improved slightly on my "wall-hugging" technique and now allow up to one exception to the rule of "stick to the wall as much as you can". It seems to work very well, and although not perfect, I no longer lose due to poor survival technique (but still have to improve my fighting mode - current rank is only 90)
r0u1i
Cadet

Postby AnAron » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Excellent idea dmj concerning the checkerboard. I know that puzzle and it didn't occur to me!
AnAron
Cadet

Postby dmj » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:27 am

I appreciate the comments about the checkerboard idea. So, more formally the grid is a bipartite graph. I could not find any more efficient algorithms or ideas to take advantage of that. Any takers?

Most of the specialized bipartite graph seemed to deal with flow type problems, which did not seem to help much.

Oh well, I'm out of ideas. Good luck to all, this has been fun :)
dmj
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby masharpe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:09 pm

masharpe
Cadet

Postby Fritzlein » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Fritzlein
Colonel

Postby Letzlo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 am

I haven't seen my idea mentioned yet so I guess I'll chip in.

I visualized the problem as a graph (that is, a graph of a function, not a graph from graph theory) of the amount of reachable squares on every point in a path. The goal is then to make the inevitable decline of this graph as gradual as possible; a sudden drop in reachable squares would mean passing through a corridor before visiting all squares in the room you are in, while a slow decline (ideally of 1, which is the square occupied in the previous turn) would make sure that all (or as many as possible) reachable squares are visited before the bot exits the room.

I found that this approach works very well partly because it can go quite deep (floodfill can be done pretty fast). However as I never got to calculating articulation points it has its limitations, especially on larger maps where it can't go deep enough.
Letzlo
Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy