[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Floodfill strategy

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:16 pm Advanced search

Floodfill strategy

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Floodfill strategy

Postby jbroman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:30 pm

My original submission was simple space-seeking (making the move that lead to most open space near it). This got me to about 9th place, however (far below amstan's first place at the time). I figure it probably would have performed better had I adjusted the weights more, but I haven't had the time to devote to it recently (and my second submission was apparently too greedy with CPU time).
Jeremy Roman
Student, Computer Science
University of Waterloo
jbroman
Cadet

Postby kronos » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 pm

So, I have a program that goes to the neighbor who has the most room it can access (i.e. floodfill returns max value), and I am doing pretty bad (103rd...:().Anything wrong I could be doing? (I am not sure how it performs so badly though...maybe cause I didn't break ties)
kronos
Lieutenant

Postby smf68 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:31 am

smf68
Lieutenant

Postby amstan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:35 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby smf68 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:36 am

smf68
Lieutenant

Postby kronos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 am

chaserbot? expander?

So, I suggested to my computer science club at high school to try coding an AI for this, and a couple of people are interested in doing it as a pair. that's possible, right?
Last edited by kronos on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
kronos
Lieutenant

Postby amstan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:53 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby kronos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 am

kronos
Lieutenant

Postby pgpaskar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:53 am

pgpaskar
Lieutenant

Postby Lictalon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14 am

The FloodFill method is really good for the endgame, but not (IMHO) to start the game with.

Someone mentioned chaserbots, which seems to be one of the better strategies for defeating a FloodFill player. The closer and quicker you get to the opponent, the easier it is to cut them off (or surround/quarantine/et al).

I've been trying another approach. If you look at all the possible combinations for the four neightbor cells, there are fifteen different possibilities (one of them is one move from defeat, though). You can call them "states," so the base of my engine is a type of finite-state automata with these 15 different states.

I don't exactly have a good strategy yet, but at least the finite-state design gives a good framework to use. My current design is a kind of mild chaser combined with the finite machine. Unfortunately, whenever I run the code on the Python tournament program, it looks like my snake is playing "Chicken" with the opponent, but always backs down at the last second - too late.
Lictalon
Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy