[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Tron board simplification

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 pm Advanced search

Tron board simplification

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Tron board simplification

Postby mosquito » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:33 pm

mosquito
Cadet

Re: Tron board simplification

Postby luv2run » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:34 am

Seems possible (though maybe not useful....). It would require total symmetry, so maybe you could scale the board down at the beginning of the game, then, as players move into areas, expand only those areas to full detail.
luv2run
Lieutenant

Postby bruudruuster » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi,

I don't quite agree. You can see this on the center map.
The starter package contains a large and empty 25x24 map with the players next to each other in the middle.
This one was quite hard to play well.
Later, the preliminary rankings used a small version of this map, for which my bot played many draws agains players of varying strength simply by walking opposite directions and dividing territory evenly in two. On a slightly larger map my bot chooses to diverge from the symmetric behavior, simply because there is more room to switch from the left to the right side and back.

Cheers,
bruudruuster.
bruudruuster
Cadet

Postby mosquito » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I see your point. I think in the beginning when the symmetry is obligatory you can simplify the map to maximize performance of calculations - nothing else. Just for the first 1-2 moves. Of course I can't prove it is a right assumption.

One way to test it would be to run a simulation on larger map (I assume that the best next move is known). Then simplify the board and check if the evaluation was the same. If it was the same i'm almost sure that it will take less CPU time.
mosquito
Cadet

Return to Strategy