[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Modified Floodfill Strategy and Testing Suggestion

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:22 pm Advanced search

Modified Floodfill Strategy and Testing Suggestion

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Modified Floodfill Strategy and Testing Suggestion

Postby Experiment Garden » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 am

My bot is doing pretty well, staying in the top ten to twenty so far. I figured I would share a few details about the modified flood fill technique that I have been using, how it works, and how I am improving it:

I also included a few details about testing. Basically my suggestion is this:

If your bot does something stupid you can copy the terminal output of the bot making its mistake, paste it into a text file, and then pass that text file as the map for testing purposes. Modify the bot until it responds to that specific situation in the way that you want it to, then keep on repeating the process until you think that it handles things fairly well.
Experiment Garden
Cadet

Re: Modified Floodfill Strategy and Testing Suggestion

Postby smf68 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:35 am

Very interesting description, funny to see how in many ways you do stuff similar to what I'm doing right now. I also found the "enter wall hugging mode when opponent is not reachable" to be VERY effective. It wins you many games against bots without a flood fill algorithm.
smf68
Lieutenant

Postby Experiment Garden » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Experiment Garden
Cadet

Postby kronos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:24 pm

well, isnt the floodfill method similar to wall hugging? I mean, if opponent can't be reached, go to the square that accesses the most area?...hmm, I believe that I am wrong (and my program is doing bad as my BFS us currently failing)
kronos
Lieutenant

Postby Experiment Garden » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:11 pm

No, using a plain flood fill your bot will not follow the outside wall of the room it is in. As a result it can waste space by, for example, drawing a line up the middle of a room rather than sticking to the edges and filling in toward the center. Wall hugging improves performance, in my case, by making it hug that outer wall and fill toward the center.
Experiment Garden
Cadet

Return to Strategy