[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Java timeouts, seriously

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:16 am Advanced search

Java timeouts, seriously

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Java timeouts, seriously

Postby shinobi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:20 am

My bot would time out in the tournament for reasons that are still beyond me. I mean, when I test it locally, I get <300ms in the *worst* cases, and I'm talking a *laptop*, for Pete's sake! Just how much on the safe side should I be?

However you may have implemented the timeout policy, it is utterly frustrating and broken.

Couldn't you at least publish the settings for the JVM with which Java entries are being executed?
shinobi
Cadet

Re: Java timeouts, seriously

Postby shinobi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 pm

I let myself 750ms for the cleanup stuff, which hardly ever takes any more than 10ms, occasional GC included, and the bot STILL TIMES OUT! This is ridiculous.

Can't I at least take a look at a transcript of the game where the timeout was measured?
shinobi
Cadet

Postby Queue29 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 pm

There are several threads of complaints about the poor performance of whatever JVM they're using.

My money is on them using that open source garbage instead of the official Sun (Oracle?) VM. But yea, Java isn't a viable language for serious contenders at this point, and it's not because Java is "inherently slow".
Queue29
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby GraharG » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

GraharG
Cadet

Postby kevin_flynn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Don't forget that you will fall back into the Initialize method as soon as your move is made.

There are definitely serious problems with java bots unfairly timing-out, but I don't think this code will expose.them
kevin_flynn
Lieutenant

Postby shinobi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Under 15ms per turn locally on *ALL* boards, and still a timeout on the server?!?!?!

Is it possible that a different condition (e.g. a weird crash of sorts) is being reported as a timeout for some reason? For what I make of the compilation log, you're not putting all of the compiled .class files into the jar, so this stuff can't possibly run correctly, even though the message says compilation was successful.
shinobi
Cadet

Return to Technical Issues