[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - JAVA UNUSABLE

It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm Advanced search

JAVA UNUSABLE

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Re: JAVA UNUSABLE

Postby amstan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm sorry, it is pretty difficult for us to update Java.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby kevin_flynn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 am

kevin_flynn
Lieutenant

Postby dutchflyboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:19 am

dutchflyboy
Colonel

Postby amstan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:23 am

For now all that us, the organizers, know is that 2 submissions time out and they're both using java. This could be the source of anything from java vm crappieness(since we're not changing this it's your responsibility to test it on what we're running) to bad code.
There is an ample amount of languages to pick from, if java does not suit you perhaps you should try something else. We installed the language packs the way it is found on other systems too(from the repository) and this does not mean bleeding edge.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby kevin_flynn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 am

Thank you for a response.

The requirement that every entrant needs to install Redhat to test their entries seems to have escaped all of your documentation.
kevin_flynn
Lieutenant

Postby amstan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:20 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby kevin_flynn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 am

kevin_flynn
Lieutenant

Postby thedeadwalrus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:36 pm

I strongly suspect the problem is with the VM; specifically with the VM and its access to the system timer.

The result is that it is impossible for me to time my bot's moves. When I remove the timer function and just guesstimate how many iterations can be run, my bot will work fine -- as long as I'm properly conservative.

But this is a crappy hack of a solution. It would be lovely to be able to call System.currentTimeMillis() or the like without generating random timeouts.

NOTE: I am not suggesting that it is not my "crappy code" that is causing the timeouts. This is a distinct possibility. But without any debug information when I get a "1s/move" timeout this is really impossible for me to determine.

It would be awesome if I could get a log when this happens. But, barring this, Would it be possible to at least let us look at the game up until the timeout occurred? I.e., a partial game up until the 1s timeout disqualified my bot?
thedeadwalrus
Lieutenant

Postby mspang » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 am

mspang
Colonel

Postby callinwire » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:28 am

Well, anyways, a few days ago I converted my entire bot from Java to C++, without making any changes to the algorithm. After doing this (I was even able to copy and paste a lot of the code), I no longer experienced any timeout issues.
callinwire
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues