It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:08 pm Advanced search

JAVA UNUSABLE

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Re: JAVA UNUSABLE

Postby thedeadwalrus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Yea I can't go deep either. I wonder how much faster the other languages are running.

Does anyone who ported from java have any conclusions on how many more iterations you can do?
thedeadwalrus
Lieutenant

Postby kevin_flynn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:25 pm

mspang, my latest submission using /proc/uptime was just an idle idea I thought I'd try out. It might have worked :-)

The results from the test bots I tried seem to be slightly at odds with the symptoms that others have reported. In one test bot, I simply slept the thread for 50ms (that's from memory - it may have been slightly higher) and then immediately returned any available valid move; my bot still timed out. At the time, I couldn't account for this other than by assuming that the JVM's internal thread timing was faulty, though I guess it could be caused by the JVM stalling for prolonged periods of time.
kevin_flynn
Lieutenant

Postby sasp777 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:21 am

thedeadwalrus, I converted my bot to C#. Dunno if this was just for my bot, but it's thousands of times faster (!!!). Timeouts work just fine as well. I am still tweaking it, but yes, there is no point doing java here.
sasp777
Lieutenant

Postby thedeadwalrus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Wow. I was hoping it was just the timeouts. Thousands of times faster = java is completely worthless.

Maybe if I get the ambition I will port -- although just thinking about it makes me cringe.
thedeadwalrus
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Technical Issues