It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 pm Advanced search

Haskell Early Exit

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Haskell Early Exit

Postby dvollbracht » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:15 pm

I submitted a haskell entry that and got the Submission Success email message saying it compiled successfully, but it was suspended with the "Early Exit" error.

I'm at a loss as to how to start debugging this without a more specific error message. Does anyone have any suggestions to help narrow down the problem rather than just shooting into the dark?
dvollbracht
Cadet

Re: Haskell Early Exit

Postby dvollbracht » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:58 pm

In case anyone else runs into a similar issue.
While I had remove all the object and interface files generated by haskell, I neglected to remove the executable that was compiled on my machine, so the compile process "succeeded" because it didn't think it needed to build anything, but the executable didn't work on the server.

Now to figure out why I just got a Read EOF error
dvollbracht
Cadet

Postby Janzert » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:36 pm

[Edit: Oops, sorry wrong thread somehow.]
Last edited by Janzert on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janzert
Contest Organizer

Postby chirono » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 am

I'm having a similar problem.

My code runs fine on my machine, using the java engine provided and the python tournament one, but I'm still getting an early exit message whenever I submit.

Is there any way to get some more detail as to what is going on? I've tried everything I can think of and I just have no idea what's gone wrong.

Chris
chirono
Cadet

Postby pepe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I am having the same issue.
This is puzzling because my main loop has a top level handler which captures any unhandled exception and enters in South mode (repeatedly moving South).
In this way I can actually get some error reporting by watching games and clearly noticing at which point my bot crashes (so far none of my submissions has crashed in this way, but development versions often do).

In spite of the top level handler, my submissions keep being disqualified after a few games with an Early Exit report, and I am having a hard time to diagnose the problem.
pepe
Cadet

Postby chirono » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Admins, is it possible to gat some more information other than:

"Submission crashed, took longer than 10 minutes to run, or something else."

please?

It would be really helpful to know why by bot is being rejected...
chirono
Cadet

Postby pepe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:46 am

I solved my issue. It turned out the main thread was getting stuck while the minimax thread died on a simple bug. Hence the top level handler wouldn't 'see' it. Bug squashed !
On the other hand, the GHC runtime system does indeed report that a thread is stuck forever. Had that output been available to me, I would have been able to fix the problem much earlier.
pepe
Cadet

Return to Technical Issues