It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:13 am Advanced search

The 1s per move timeout...

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

The 1s per move timeout...

Postby ruibarbosa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

Hi.
Although the rules say that only the first move can take up to 3 seconds, I've noticed that, when testing a bot in my own computer, I can make it use 3 seconds for all the move without being disqualified. It also does not timeout in your server, even though I'm pretty sure it is using around 2.5 seconds per play. Is this a bug? Will the tournament be run in the same conditions, or should we prepare for a 1 second timeout? (this is particularly important for those of us using depth-first algorithms...)

Thanks.
Rui
ruibarbosa
Cadet

Re: The 1s per move timeout...

Postby ruibarbosa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:39 pm

After further testing I noticed that the bot does timeout on your server. However, it does not when using the Tron.jar on my machine, as long as all the moves take less than 3 seconds... That might be the reason why so many people complain that the bot does not timeout on their machine, but gets suspended once uploaded... Maybe there's a bug in the game engine in the jar?
ruibarbosa
Cadet

Postby ruibarbosa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Ok, disregard that last message.

I've confirmed that your server also allows for each move to take up to 3 seconds (and not just the first). If you want to try it yourself, just change the MyTronBot in the C# starter package to include a sleep in the MakeMove method. If the sleep is 3.5 seconds long, the bot is suspended before the first game even finishes. If it is 2.5 seconds, it will play forever. I have it running right now in my account, and it has played 10 games already...

I believe you should either fix this, or change the rules to allow for this behavior (3 seconds per move). Either way, please let us know so we can adjust the bots accordingly.
Thanks.
ruibarbosa
Cadet

Postby ruibarbosa » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 am

Will one of the organizers please comment on this? Thank you.
ruibarbosa
Cadet

Postby mspang » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 am

The rules are accurate - you have one second. Do not try to use more than that even if you aren't immediately suspended for doing so.
mspang
Colonel

Return to Technical Issues