[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Maps

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:29 am Advanced search

Maps

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Maps

Postby moduspwned » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:49 am

What maps are the official tournaments played on. The size and shape can really alter which strategies will be effective. I assume it randomly picks form various maps, but curious if there are some guidelines for general sizes and shapes.
moduspwned
Cadet

Re: Maps?

Postby toza » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi! The maps will be no larger than 50 by 50 and some example maps are posted in the starter packages however I would recommend not designing strategies for individual maps because we might add additional maps later.
Tapan Oza
Forum Mod
CSC member
toza
Lieutenant

Re: Maps?

Postby amstan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Maps can be anything, we're trying to make this as interesting as possible.
Get prepared for mazes too.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Re: Maps

Postby dhartmei » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Are you planning on introducing some new maps before the deadline?

It seems that all the maps currently in use favor the initial strategy of 'walking towards the opponent',
and it would be interesting to see how things turn out on other maps.

Or maybe a maze?

I agree you should keep the best surprises for the final competition, but a gradual change of environment would give us opportunity to discover and fix more bugs :)
dhartmei
Colonel

Postby a1k0n » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 am

I would like to second that: I'm really getting tired of toronto and u and ring. The top 20 on the scoreboard is totally random based on who got draws from trivial maps against opponents who know the trivial optimal strategy, and who didn't. IMO a draw on any of the 15x15 maps except for empty-room and trix doesn't mean a thing and shouldn't count against you.

Apocalyptic is rad; can we maybe get a smaller version of that? Something like trix but more randomized? More tactical open maps like "center" but 15x15? Something?
a1k0n
Colonel

Postby ebrahim » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:03 am

I totally agree with you about top N being random. I hope they set up some more meaningful tournament between top players before the final one. I'd like to find my bugs before deadline!
ebrahim
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby a1k0n » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:39 pm

a1k0n
Colonel

Postby iouri_ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 am

Pretty nice maps, and small enough to be played on quickly!
I'm stealing them for my collection.
iouri_
Brigadier-General

Postby jeff.cameron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 am

Ooooo very nice-looking maps. I will try to find a second to add these into the regular rotation tomorrow. Keep them coming! I will add any cool maps that are in this thread tomorrow!

We like maps that are around 15x15 now, for reasons spelled out in other threads.
jeff.cameron
Contest Organizer

Postby a1k0n » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Hey, there are new maps in rotation now! THANK YOU! These are way better! The 16x15 ones are especially satisfying - that's a simple fix to an annoying problem -- colliding in the center square. The 15x15 empty room still results in a collision in the middle draw, but the others are vastly superior to what we had before.
a1k0n
Colonel

Next

Return to Strategy