[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - I've lost one match, am i screwed?

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm Advanced search

I've lost one match, am i screwed?

Questions and discussions about the current Ant Game Rules.

I've lost one match, am i screwed?

Postby jaman4dbz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm

My bot just lost one match, basically because it was a little too passive and there was a really good bot my bot went against. I went from 450th to 1050th, because of this. Is there any chance my bot can come back into the ranks? It seems grim considering my profile says it will be another 640 minutes till the next match.

I think the ranking system is a little broken if my bot is screwed after not being aggressive enough in ONE match.
FYI my bot was the last other survivor for hundreds of turns after everyone dies, making the lose that much more frustrating.
Another FYI, here is the game that I find frustrating:
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: I've lost one match, am i screwed?

Postby Parasprites » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:53 pm

The rankings are essentially random right now. I think it's possible to come back.
Parasprites
Major-General

Postby Scryer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:27 pm

No, you're not screwed... just as my first place on the leaderboard after my fourth game doesn't mean that I'll be on page one after all the dust settles. I'm confident that the process will sort everybody pretty fairly... which is to say, by overall performance ability on the final set of maps.
Scryer
Colonel

Postby BenJackson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:46 pm

BenJackson
Colonel

Postby Darhuuk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Darhuuk
Colonel

Postby stupidquestions » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Top 200? Shouldn't the first cutoff be at something more like top 2000? Not that I've read that somewhere, but top 200 would be way too harsh in my opinion.
stupidquestions
Captain

Postby jaman4dbz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:56 pm

I hope the cutoff is in the thousands. Initially. IMO, they should generally half the results repeatedly.

top 4000, top 2000, top 1000, top 500, top 250, top 100, top 50, top 20, then results!

I think they may have listed how they do it somewhere... but I'm too lazy to check. I mostly made this post out of disappointment =P.

Btw the crash was very frustrating to see. If you look at my history, I hadn't had a crash for a very long time, and I thought my bot was fine, and had no issues with crashing, but I must have introduced a rare case, that apparently likes coming up a lot during the competition [yet never when I'm doing 1000 turn stress tests of my bot locally >.>].

Anyone else get shot back into a crummy position by going against someone who was way above them?

EDIT: I just checked, and I'm back in 622 place now =). Basically I'll be happy if I get in the top 600, and I will be thoroughly disappointed if my bot doesn't make it in the top 1000. I'll just have to hope it doesn't crash too often, or wins the game before crashing ;).
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby jaman4dbz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Will, I'm screwed. I just looked at three different replays.

You know when my bot crashes? It crashes when it runs over an enemy hill.... will no points for me.

sigh...
jaman4dbz
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Paw » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi, my bot also crashes every game in this tournament but before that it never crashed, I am starting to think that there is a change in compilation flags or a rule change. I have really worked on it to work and to be better than this.

This challenge have been really fun to work on and I have been sitting every day with the code since october 22.
It is sad that when the tournament begins, my bot crashes and it is left out. If I have this problem, I bet a lot more do too.
Bot: pwendel
Paw
Cadet

Postby BearOff » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:41 am

Paw, may be you should recheck that submitted version is stable in all cases on your machine/TCP servers and if stable - ask organizers if they can see some problems which are not dependent on you with your bot.
BearOff
Colonel

Next

Return to Game Specifications