[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game count...

It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:55 pm Advanced search

Game count...

Questions and discussions about the current Ant Game Rules.

Re: Game count...

Postby KyberPrizrak » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:38 am

Last edited by KyberPrizrak on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for my bad English.
I am From Russia.
KyberPrizrak
Lieutenant

Postby Scryer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:48 am

Last edited by Scryer on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scryer
Colonel

Postby KyberPrizrak » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:51 am

Sorry for my bad English.
I am From Russia.
KyberPrizrak
Lieutenant

Postby ChrisH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 am

I am going to try and explain what is going on with the game counts. I have talked with one of the devs on IRC and he confirmed that this explanation is accurate.

The match maker is trying to sort the bots, so it would prefer to have a bunch that play more matches to act as landmarks in the rankings.

Think how quicksort works, it picks a pivot value and then partitions the rest of the values into two groups, based on whether they fall on one side of the pivot or the other. During this partitioning step each value is compared to the pivot only once, but the pivot gets compared to every other value. The result is that the values are put in the proper section of the list quickly.

The matchmaking system is trying to do something similar, and the bots that are getting a lot of games are acting as a sort of pivot or landmark for broadly categorizing the other bots more quickly.

ChrisH
Colonel

Postby Zaph » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 am

Zaph
Colonel

Postby franperuzzi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 pm

I too would love to know more about how the cutoffs are going to work When will they occur? What will epsilon be?.

My bot isn't a contender, but if I miss the cutoff having only lost once (to zarkon who is currently ranked 7th), I'll probably have some misgivings about how the finals are set up. At my current game rate, I think having only 5-6 games by tomorrow (Wednesday) is a possibility.
franperuzzi
Captain

Postby lama3oid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:30 pm

and how many pivots are there ?
I think now about half of people have at least 10 games. many have 13-14, some >20, while I and some other people still have only 6.
lama3oid
Captain

Postby ChrisH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:55 pm

ChrisH
Colonel

Postby bluegaspode » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:23 pm

As long as I can see that ChrisH and Xathis are facing the same problems one kind of keeps patient.
Ten games *jeleous* ...

Right now the tournament with the last three games every 12 hours is sooooo daunting (and one cannot see how this tournament can be over on 22nd of Dec).
bluegaspode
Colonel

Postby stupidquestions » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Well, they COULD cut 2/3 bots off after everyone gets at least 10 games, that would speed things up... But I still don't see why starter bots weren't eliminated at the beginning.
stupidquestions
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Game Specifications