[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Ants is over!

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 pm Advanced search

Ants is over!

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

Re: Ants is over!

Postby zarkon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:35 am

zarkon
Lieutenant

Postby amstan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 am

Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby tiberiu44 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 am

Hello,
I noticed that all bots timeout since the contest started. My bot is written in C# but the timeout happens regardless of the programming language. I do have a timeout check, and also on my computer (which is a Asus n61j laptop) it takes about 100ms for 300 ants (worst case).
I don't see why this is happening, with the timeout check installed in multiple parts of the code and also i would like to mention that the first versions of the bot didn't even have timeout checks and they worked perfectly. I lost a couple of games because of this and they where against some lame bots. In this game seems like everyone timed out:

Also I wanted to know if it counts that I've been fighting an aggressive bot the whole game and I was winning in the end, but we reached the turn limit and he already razed a couple of enemy hills that belong to other bots who did not have any skill?

If the contest does not run for a couple of weeks such situations will have a negative impact on the score (some bots just get lucky).

So, do be concise:
1) Why do the timeouts occur?
2) How long will the contest run?

Thank you!
tiberiu44
Cadet

Postby Frantic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:16 am

Frantic
Major

Re: Trophies for the winners

Postby itzkow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:07 pm

itzkow
Cadet

Postby KhipuKamayuq » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 pm

KhipuKamayuq
Lieutenant

Postby asmodeus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:12 pm

asmodeus
Cadet

Re: Trophies for the winners

Postby stilkin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:44 pm

stilkin
Cadet

Postby Frantic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Frantic
Major

Postby gnu264 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 pm

While random timeouts did occur during the training phase, they have much more serious effects now: each bot gets to play so preciously few games that even one game lost due to a timeout may have a huge impact on your final ranking! For example, my bot had only 6 games (while, on a side note, other bots had already managed to play 15+ games). During the 7th game, both me and my competitor timed out during the same turn: http://aichallenge.org/visualizer.php?g ... &user=8532

Would it be possible to introduce a rule like "if two or more bots time out within X turns of each other, the results of the game are disregarded and there is an immediate rematch"?
gnu264
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Misc