[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - CPU Time

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 pm Advanced search

CPU Time

Ideas for the Future

CPU Time

Postby Frantic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi friendly and most awesome game maintainers,

I stand in awe of what you have achieved this competition. Thank you for your efforts.

I would like to make a contribution myself; the timing of the turn interval has been bugging me. I know that it's too late to make the code change for the current competition, so I ask the following question:

Is there any reasonable chance that the current playgame.py will be reused in the next competition?

If so, I would like to add using CPU time for the turn interval calculation, instead of real-time. The lapses have been annoying me to no end, and I'm pretty sure they are happening in the competition as well (re the clamour over timeouts in the forums).

If the answer is overwhemingly positive, I will fork, see what I can do and give you a pull request.

Kind Regards,

Frantic.
Frantic
Major

Re: CPU Time

Postby antimatroid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 am

We would really like it if the contest continued to be cross-platform. Good luck working out how all languages are going to do that on all platforms ;) (Hint, we've looked into it in the past).
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby Frantic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Frantic
Major

Postby Equinoxe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 pm

A C binding using times() on POSIX systems could be working on all languages, I think.
For windows, I don't know the function to get CPU time.

For C or C++ or C++11 packages, it could be even easier : just add some code, no need to bind.
For other languages, I don't know any not accepting C bindings, as it is the basic language for most performance-based applications. (Is there an OpenCL implementation in Python ? I believe it's more a binding.)

So it would be possible to be done. The only requirement being to require starter packages to include a gettime-like function.

So, why not doing it for the next challenge ? :)
Equinoxe
Captain

Postby Frantic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Frantic
Major

Postby Equinoxe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm

I am not an admin, and so may not answer "yes" or "no".

But, as I remember that the project is open-source, anyone may do the bindings, and so anyone may propose a good solution, and I believe that, then, they will accept the patch.
Equinoxe
Captain

Postby Frantic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Frantic
Major

Postby Equinoxe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Having all starter packages to provide a gettime function would allow anyone to make their bots, regardless of the time-counting method.
Equinoxe
Captain

Postby Frantic » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Frantic
Major

Postby Equinoxe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Last edited by Equinoxe on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Equinoxe
Captain

Next

Return to Suggestions