[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game Idea: Haxball

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm Advanced search

Game Idea: Haxball

Ideas for the Future

Game Idea: Haxball

Postby Migi32 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Migi32
Lieutenant

Re: Game Idea: Haxball

Postby jeff.cameron » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 am

This sounds like a really fun idea. The starter package could just be "move towards the ball". It would be reasonably easy to improve on it, too.
jeff.cameron
Contest Organizer

Postby tomb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:29 am

That sounds pretty awesome. I was thinking about something like 3 v 3 soccer, but wasn't sure how to make it work. I like the way the haxball video looks where the player bumps the ball and it moves based on what angle on which you hit it. Looks sort of like airhockey but with 3 players per side. I think having 3 or 5 players on a team would be better than 11.

The only negative I can think of is that I think it would be nice to have a game where you can play more that 1 v 1.
tomb
Lieutenant

Postby Scryer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:11 am

Looks visually interesting. No explosions yet, though. :)

To make it multi-player, could you perhaps have an N-sided board (2 <= N <= 6, perhaps) with a goal in the middle of each?

Also, 11 seems like a very busy number to control, and might lead to degenerate strategies, like a flying wedge or double wall. Maybe 3 or 4 pushers per bot?
Scryer
Colonel

Postby gnu264 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:31 pm

That game looks like sooo much fun :)
I don't think this game should be played with more than 2 teams - it would just be a big scrum in the middle of the field where all players smash together...
gnu264
Captain

Postby MountieBot » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:02 pm

This does look like a fun idea.

One thing I liked about "ants" was the multi-player aspect. While I agree that having more than two teams on a single field is a bad idea, I wonder if you could still make it multiplayer by having each program being in control of only a single player. So a single contest would involve six programs -- three on each team. I suppose you could vary this just like in "ants" and have 2vs.2 fields, 3vs.3 fields, 4vs.4 fields, etc.

An interesting thing about this way of organizing things is that, since you'd have no idea who you'd get as team mates, a critical part of the challenge would not only be to optimize your own player, but to devise a way to determine which of your team mates actually have a useful plan.

You want to pass the ball to a team mate who looks like he's trying to get into scoring position, not one who seems intent on moving north at all costs....or one who appears to have timed out and expired on the field.
MountieBot
Cadet

Postby cobracom » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:56 pm

I really like the game (being a complete departure from previous ones), but one big disadvantage it seems to have is having no maps. At least part of the fun in the past challenges was trying to come up with a strategy that fits different scenarios.

On the other hand, I don't think it will be that difficult to add maps, it's just going to be a bit less "soccery".
cobracom
Lieutenant

Postby Gajet » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 pm

isn't this game something similar to existing robocup simulation 2d league?
Gajet
Cadet

Postby Migi32 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Ah, I didn't know about the Robocup Simulation 2D League before. It's indeed quite similar, although a small difference is that in Haxball you can't "hold" the ball and then kick it in a direction you choose. Instead, you always kick the ball "away" from you.

The ideas of making it more than a 1v1 game are interesting, but I'm not sure they would work. As gnu264 said, more than 2 teams, with more than 2 goals etc would probably be a chaotic mess, so I'm against that.

But having 2 teams and multiple bots that each control 1 player, that would be pretty cool. Definitely among the top bots, who would really be aware of each other's positions and do nice coordinated plays.

I can even imagine a contest where people form teams and then those teams play against each other (and the best team wins, not the best player), with possibly trading players between teams and all that stuff. Unfortunately I'm afraid this all breaks down at the lower ranks, where bots would be completely oblivious to what the other bots on their team are doing, and most matches would look like .
Migi32
Lieutenant

Postby mogron » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:49 pm

mogron
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Suggestions