[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Game Idea: Multiplayer Asteroids

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 pm Advanced search

Game Idea: Multiplayer Asteroids

Ideas for the Future

Game Idea: Multiplayer Asteroids

Postby gnu264 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

I think a multiplayer asteroids would be a cool choice for the next AI challenge:
- Everyone has played asteroids at some time -> it is well known and popular
- Lots of moving objects -> interesting visualizations
- Allows more than 2 players
- There is no trivial solution
- Lots of different tactics are possible

Gameplay could be like this: 2-6 players and several asteroids are placed on the playing field. If my ship is hit by an asteroid, enemy bullets or an enemy ship I'm out of the game. Every player receives scores for every second they survive and every asteroid/enemy ship they shoot down.
gnu264
Captain

Re: Game Idea: Multiplayer Asteroids

Postby BenJackson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Multi-player asteroids = xpilot.

It would be awesome to have a contest to make a good xpilot AI. Maybe someone *has* in the years I haven't been paying attention.

(in fact I see they have now got web-based replays!)
BenJackson
Colonel

Postby amstan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 am

I'm down. I like xpilot.

We talked about it on irc for a while:
http://contestbot.aichallenge.org/chann ... -12-14.log
grep for "2011-12-14T19:06:24"
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby dimkadimon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:25 am

I like this idea.
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby aerique » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:54 am

Great idea indeed. I played xpilot a lot when I still attended school but for the AI Challenge I'd be more in favor of the more basic Asteroids.

So, start implementing a game server and example bots!
aerique
Brigadier-General

Postby amstan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:01 am

I would really like to look into this.
I might get a small test going in pyqt to see how it works.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby gaussin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm

gaussin
Cadet

Postby aerique » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I've spent a couple of evening hacking the Ants code to turn it into a multi-player Asteroids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqfH5J18C30

I will upload the branch hopefully this week to my GitHub AI Challenge fork. The code is hideous which doesn't matter that much for showing the idea in action but I do want to make a somewhat non-retarded starter bot.

The bots in the video are really basic: one just flies forwards and the other turns to the left and shoots.
aerique
Brigadier-General

Postby Riseven » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:18 pm

I have an idea to make this game more visually interesting. When a player hits an asteroid, the new smaller child asteroids are painted with the color of that player. The idea is that simply seeing the colors distribution in the screen, you can see which bots are better. With the normal rules of Asteroids this is only an approximation, but it could be possible to create some rules with the color of asteroids. Just a couple examples:

- If a red asteroid collides and kills a player, the points for killing that player goes to the red player. That means that an interesting strategy for a player could be to simply try to set as many asteroids as possible to his color, but leave the asteroids that are already of his color alive, so to try to maximise his points by killing enemies. Also, trying to split asteroids near enemies to try to kill these enemies with the newly split asteroids.

- The problem with the previous rule is that asteroids are meaningless if they fail to kill any enemy, probably making a better strategy to simply destroy everything out of existence. A solution could be that each live asteroid gave points to the player of his color each second, so it makes each player best strategy to fire to enemy asteroids (to covert them to his own color) and defend own asteroids, to mine more points.

Just an idea, not really sure how it would turn out.
Riseven
Cadet

Postby cowtippervirus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:37 pm

cowtippervirus
Captain

Next

Return to Suggestions