[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Prototype & Proposal: Multiplayer Asteroids

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 pm Advanced search

Prototype & Proposal: Multiplayer Asteroids

Ideas for the Future

Re: Prototype & Proposal: Multiplayer Asteroids

Postby aerique » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:47 am

aerique
Brigadier-General

Postby akarukov » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 pm

akarukov
Cadet

Postby smiley1983 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Basic asteroids starter in ocaml:

https://github.com/smiley1983/ocaml-asteroids
smiley1983
Colonel

Postby akarukov » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 am

BUG REPORT
I've just discovered a bug. Bullet's tracking is wrong.
Sometimes it moves for a small distance then stay in place 1-3 turns then continue moving.
Time to live for bullets is longer then rate of fire. So we can have 2 bullets at the moment for a player.
The bug begins then we have 2 bullets.
For example:
First bullet time to live was in [turn 2 - turn 13]
Second bullet time to live was in [turn 12 - turn 19]
We will have coord tracking for second bullet : (68,86)(58,88)(48,90)(39,92)(39,92)(29,94)(19,95)(9,97)
And second bug is that time to live is not equal 12. It is 11 for first bullet and 8 for second.
akarukov
Cadet

Postby aerique » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

aerique
Brigadier-General

Postby agent_smith » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Take a look at this:

http://www.xpilot-ai.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoHSWIj0THg

Unfortunately, it doesn' t seem to run on Windows.
agent_smith
Colonel

Postby smiley1983 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 am

Bugfix for the bullet-stopping error, and some other adjustments (add proper wrap function, add ship velocity to new bullet velocity so you don't die when moving forward fast and firing):

https://github.com/smiley1983/aichallenge
smiley1983
Colonel

Postby akarukov » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Thank you smiley for bugfix. I will checkout soon.
I wish to say some words about Asteroids vs 2d-turn tactical shooter proposition.
I see that 2d-shooter has lower barrier to entry and close in mind to Ants.
I think that Asteroids is fundamentally different from all previous chanallenges. I like it and I dislike it :? .
When I learned about Tron, Planet Wars or Ants, - the default AI for these games was clear for me: combinatorics, path findings, collaborations, heuristics.
I tried to understand the default AI for Asteroids, - it is not clear for me.
Of course we can use combinatorics+heuristics, but I feel that it is not native AI for this game.

Since this forum's topic is about game-complexity of Asteroids proposition,
I hope to learn if somebody understood the real complexity of Asteroids ?

Actually I have found only theory of "differential games". You can google it.

akarukov
Cadet

Postby eiisolver » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

I found the asteroids idea pretty cool, so based on the proposed rules I made a simple bot that bases its decisions on Monte Carlo walks, without any regard to opponent movement, see http://youtu.be/xRujVT9FhKc for a demo

Even this simple bot has no problem avoiding asteroids. In the end I think this game is all about ship-to-ship combat, which should be very interesting as there are many possible strategies.

My main concern is that a passive defensive player that moves as slowly as possible and keeps pointing at its nearest opponent might be very successful. The latest code addition where the firing ship's speed is added to the bullet speed is a good change because it gives fast moving ships a better reach than a passive ship.

Another defensive strategy would be to run away from opponents ships all the time. That's why the asteroids are a nice aspect of the game, as they can at least hinder the path of fleeing space ships. Maybe the max speed of the asteroids could be made a little higher to make navigation a bit more difficult. Another idea would be to let the smallest asteroids be immune to bullets so the number of asteroids never decreases.

All in all I like this proposal a lot!
eiisolver
Cadet

Postby Equinoxe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Or maybe firing the smallest asteroids would give them energy, and they would fusion with the next other asteroid they encounter, forming a bigger one ?
That would make cycles of asteroid sizes, and so make me enter in ... an ... infinite ... r-e-c-u--r--s---i---o----n ...
Equinoxe
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions