It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm Advanced search

The other winner of this contest

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

The other winner of this contest

Postby Queue29 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm

is clearly the C++ programming language.

With 38 of the top 50 spots, I ask you, why is it your language of choice?
Queue29
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: The other winner of this contest

Postby aramadia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

I hate c++ and I started the first week in Java. I only switched because I couldn't get Java's timing to work properly. I must admit when I ported it over I got a 4x speed improvement, but only because I was being careful about reusing memory. Otherwise it was incredibly painful experience.

However, I learned a few tools that made things bearable

Eclipse CDT
Valgrind
gdb -tui

If I had to do this again, I would have like to use Java if the timing was fixed. I had to take a 60-80% performance hit because I couldn't stomach finding a nasty bug in my program that would've only taken a few hours if I had used Java.
aramadia
Lieutenant

Postby a1k0n » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Realtime constraints. That's pretty much it. I would have used Haskell if I were better versed in it, but for me it was all about controlling memory usage and locality to get the most searching speed I possibly could, and to use as much of the 1 second as possible without timing out. Ironically with iterative deepening you end up wasting a good portion of your searching time when you run out of time and have to abort the current ply.
a1k0n
Colonel

Postby luv2run » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm really glad I used Lua instead. Although my final bot was definitely slower and weaker because of it, I would never have had time to try out lots of different ideas while worrying about memory management and creating classes and so on.

So for those of us not expecting to win or not sure what strategy would work best, C++ isn't always the best option.

But most people probably chose C++ because they're most comfortable in it.
luv2run
Lieutenant

Postby ebrahim » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm

C++ is my language of choice for almost everything programming. I like how it is both high level and high performance. You can develop using it from embedded systems to big software projects like most commercial games.
At the end I should mention that C++ has got its own pitfalls. However unlike many others, I don't choose C++ solely because I find no other technology feasible, but because I also love C++ besides finding it feasible.
ebrahim
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby grogers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 am

I chose C++ because that is what I am most comfortable with. When you are trying lots of different things in a short period of time you don't want your language to be in your way.

But it also helps that it is fast...
grogers
Lieutenant

Postby Toninja » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 am

Python here! All hail Guido! :mrgreen:

Basically, we chose Python because we were more comfortable with it, and since we only found out about the contest on February 18, we didn't have enough time to try faster approaches. Now I see it was never possible for us to compete with C++ programs because of the huge performance gap. We could only search 8-10 plies (on open boards) using a cache to keep the results from previous searches, and aramadia (and the rest of the C++ gang) could search twice as deep even without storing previous computations! :o We never had a chance against that :?

But still, it was a very nice contest, and we enjoyed a lot working on this problem. Congrats to a1k0n!
And of course, thanks to the organizers for putting up this great competition :)

PS: Just one more thing. I wanted to just ignore the guy like everybody else, but now I cannot anymore...
Accoun, you are a very bad loser. Just because the mean organizers didn't tell exactly what were going to be the maps for the final, and you couldn't hard-code your (non-intelligent) solutions for those maps, you are saying that it was a bad organization? Get a life man! :P
And you even blocked the topic so none could reply, but here is your reply: you are an idiot.
Toninja
Cadet

Return to Misc