[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - TCP Server

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 am Advanced search

TCP Server

Code won't compile? Found a bug? Post here!

Re: TCP Server

Postby Meatkat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 pm

The TCP Server is awesome! Thanks a lot for everyone who made it possible. I'm currently competing from Burkina Faso and my connection is really, really slow. I time out in almost all the matches I play: http://72.44.46.68/getplayer?player=Meatkat10.4 . I was hoping that you could maybe increase the allowed response time to allow me to finish a few more matches. It would really help me a lot and the only downside would be if someone decided to make their bot take more than a second in processing, which then would be useless on the official server so really it would serve no purpose. Thank you!
Meatkat
Lieutenant

Postby Xrillo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:27 pm

I've been letting my bot play on this TCP server for a while and here's a few thoughts. But first, thanks for setting up the server! :D

My bot is very weak, getting a rating of somewhere around -250 elo on the TCP server ( and about 1900 elo on the official ). Being a weak bot isn't all that fun, since almost all of its wins are because of disconnections/timeouts/invalid inputs by the opposing player. This screws up the rating system quite badly imo.. How about not using "failed" games in the ratings?. Sure there may be silly people trying to take advantage of it ( disconnecting when losing ). But in the end they gain absolutely nothing from it. Quite easy to spot too...

Here's one of my tests , take special notice of the amount of wins by "failing opponents".. It's getting around 30% wins, but maybe 5-10% if you throw out the failed ones.

So how about throwing out such games from the rating calculations?
Xrillo
Captain

Postby Mistmanov » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Mistmanov
Colonel

Postby Xrillo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Xrillo
Captain

Postby voidptr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:43 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

Postby lovebob » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:04 am

first of all, Thanks for the TCP server, very cool, and a big help in upping my ranking.

Re not counting timeout / disconnect / invalid move games.

I think not counting disconnect games at least makes sense. Unless the tcp script fails in some way I'm not sure how a bot could disconnect.
As far as timeouts, i'm using ruby, and i'm modifying my bot as it plays games. that means one game it might work fine, but then i tab to my editor, make some changes (including a syntax goof) and when i tab back to the terminal window, i see that my bot has lost the last 10 games because it had invalid syntax. I don't think those losses should count, because I'm only interested in the results of games that complete successfully one way or the other, and i suspect most people feel the same.

That said, thank you again for the service and i'll continue loving it and using it no matter if you make these changes or not.
lovebob
Cadet

Postby Mistmanov » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 am

Mistmanov
Colonel

Postby philippe » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:51 am

philippe
Cadet

Postby karpizin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:50 pm

i've found incorrect map on tcp server

http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=432242

at first sight i thought - shame on dmj =), but after...

the dist between planets is 2, so we have 10 reserve ships

but there are no planets for 10 ships or cheaper
karpizin
Captain

Postby voidptr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:44 pm

voidptr
Brigadier-General

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues