[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Top 50 bot Open-Sourced! (C#)

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am Advanced search

Top 50 bot Open-Sourced! (C#)

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Top 50 bot Open-Sourced! (C#)

Postby Zilog9 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Last edited by Zilog9 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Zilog9
Lieutenant

Re: Top 50 bot Open-Sourced! (C#)

Postby AndreasRLC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Wow, that's so devastating for the community.

By uploading a top 50 bot, you're raising the bar for all bots to a minimum of this level. It's filtering everyone out who does not have programming experience to code a similar bot.

EDIT: Please don't get me wrong, I think it's really good for learning, but this is a competition, it should be saved till the uploads are closed.
AndreasRLC
Cadet

Postby Zilog9 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 pm

I'd considered that, but:
1) It's in C#, so it shouldn't really affect the other language submissions.
2) If you take a look, it's really a very simple bot. It doesn't even try to predict the other players moves, or consider the repercussions of it's own moves. All it does is plot out what the currently existing fleets will do, how the planets will grow, and try to prevent lost planets while conquering new ones. Nothing surprising or unusual in strategy. It's even called, internally, "QuickNDirtyBot". I was surprised it got that high in the rankings, truthfully.
3) I was hoping it might even help the competition, by providing people with a decent bot to test against locally, instead of having to upload and wait, or running the TCP client (for people who get frequent timeouts, like myself).
Zilog9
Lieutenant

Postby RebelXT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:34 pm

RebelXT
Colonel

Postby jmcarthur » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:39 pm

I have no moral problem with this being up, but I also kind of wish it hadn't been put up.
jmcarthur
Colonel

Postby Zilog9 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Well, I took it down. It was only downloaded 15 times, and I'm quite sure those who did are honorable people, and will only use it for testing or learning purposes and not just resubmit it under their name (Not that they can right now anyway, because C# submission is broken. And anyway, where'd be the fun in that? )
Zilog9
Lieutenant

Postby yasith » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:27 pm

I guess that it's good that you took it down :) it would have sucked if many people just used that code, and if it became the standard level.

But of course, this gives the idea, to open source all the bots, after the competition :)
yasith
Cadet

Postby Zilog9 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Zilog9
Lieutenant

Postby Nargil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Maybe you could post a compiled binary (preferably for linux) ? At the first glance the idea behind the bot reminds my unfinished bot. I'd like to have a good recurrent competitor for it to play localy. Implementing your algorithm from scratch is however a waste of time for me.
Nargil
Cadet

Postby amstan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 am

Yeah, that would be a good idea, give people compiled versions of your code. I did this in tron.

Though, (others)beware. There's no way in finding out what it does, or if it's a security problem. For all you know, it could be searching for your entry and then uploading it back to him. Not saying that it would.. but that's a risk that you should consider. On the official server we have a sandbox specifically for this.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Next

Return to Strategy