[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Here are some simple bots for local testing

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 pm Advanced search

Here are some simple bots for local testing

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Here are some simple bots for local testing

Postby eburnette » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm

One of the best ways to improve your entry is to match your bot against lots of other bots and then make incremental changes until you can beat them. Unfortunately, with the possible exception of RageBot, the example bots in the starter packages don't provide much of a challenge. Therefore I'm releasing a few simple bots that perform a little better for your enjoyment (see attached).

They're all inspired by RageBot, hence the name "Fury". I wrote them early on when I was first starting the contest. Source code is not included. Please do not copy or use the code for your own submissions (trust me, you wouldn't want to anyway :lol: ). To run a bot, execute "java -jar jarname.jar". You'll need Java 6 or better. If you need a viewer/game engine I recommend this one from delt0r: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=751 .

These bots will not win any awards but you can download them and play against them as many times as you like. They are provided as-is with no warranty or support. If you find them useful, let me know and I can post more.
Attachments
EBBFuryBots.zip
(141.72 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
eburnette
Captain

Re: Here are some simple bots for local testing

Postby Nargil » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Maybe you could post the sources, so the untrustful guys like me can also enjoy it ? ;-)
Nargil
Cadet

Postby Mistmanov » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Mistmanov
Colonel

Postby eburnette » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:54 pm

People gave the guy that posted source a hard time, so I didn't post source on purpose. Besides, all the Fury bots are variants on RageBot so look at the RageBot source.

Fury1 is the same as RageBot except it doesn't have the "if (source.NumShips() < 10 * source.growthRate())" test. That makes it send out fewer ships more often.

Fury4 is like RageBot except it takes distance and growth rate into account when choosing which planets to attack first. It will go after enemy planets, then neutral planets if it has anything left. It won't shoot unless it can send enough to take over a planet, and it only sends enough to take over.

Fury5 is the same as Fury4 but without the growth rate calculation. Surprisingly it does better than Fury4 in many cases. I think it's because it's not tempted to attack big far-away planets that are easily defended by the enemy.

Fury6 is the same as Fury5 but does not attack neutral planets (unless you attack them first of course). It's worse on some maps and better on others.

Fury7 is the same as Fury5 but is pickier about which neutral planets to attack. It will only shoot neutrals closer than 5 units away, and only if they have fewer than half the number of ships compared to the departure planet.

As far as rating goes, these are not competitive bots by any means, but maybe they can be fun to play with. Also I'm hoping to encourage others to upload their bots so I'll have more to play against too. Plus, they're not impossible to beat in "Human mode" in delt0r's viewer if you fancy a bit of arcade fun like me. They should all be at least as strong as RageBot, which is currently ranked in 209th place on the benzedrine.cx server with an ELO of -415. But ranking isn't everything -- I have had bots that ranked briefly in the top 10 but on a few maps the better Fury bots could still get lucky and beat them.
eburnette
Captain

Postby Nargil » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:01 pm

I was rather worried about the safety than keen to look at the sources. I have a pretty decent bot running
http://ai-contest.com/profile.php?user_id=8584

anyway call me paranoid, but I've created a virtualbox machine to run your bots via the tcp client/server.
Maybe i'll release it soon (depends how well it compresses).
Nargil
Cadet

Postby eburnette » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 pm

If you're worried about security change "java -jar xx" to "java -Djava.security.manager -jar xx". The default security policy will severely restrict what a Java program can do.
eburnette
Captain

Postby rommel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 am

I tested each of your bots against my own, and they always timed out on the 12th or so turn... :roll:
rommel
Cadet

Postby amstan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:10 am

Perhaps there should be an official thing when some of us(organizers) release this compiled code.
Contestants can give us code that they want to release, we look over it, make sure it's not malicious, compile and release.
Alexandru M. Stan
Contest Organizer
amstan
Contest Organizer

Postby Nargil » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm

That'd be great !
Nargil
Cadet

Postby salar2k » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:38 pm

All of them times out against my bot! !!?? :(