[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Optimal expand

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 am Advanced search

Optimal expand

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Re: Optimal expand

Postby krokkrok » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:21 am

but it's still impossible for anyone (bee or human) to just eyeball the optimum path among a bunch of flowers
million bucks if you can prove it
krokkrok
Major

Postby Migi32 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:27 am

Migi32
Lieutenant

Postby Gudradain » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Gudradain
Cadet

Postby lesslucid » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 pm

It's just a rough heuristic, but the basic method I use is to look at each planet and ask, if I send my ships to conquer that planet, how many turns will it be before I have the same number of ships available to send that I do right now? Say I have to send 50 ships over an 8 turn gap to capture a 5-growth planet. That "investment" will take 18 turns to put me back where I am now. The lowest count planets should be taken first, and the highest count planets last.

I suppose an added complication comes from the fact that I'm only looking at the planets I can take right now. A better technique would also look at planets I can't take right now. ie, if I can wait 2 turns and then conquer a planet that is 2 turns away with more defenders, I may end up with a lower count even adding in the 2 waiting turns. Hmm.
lesslucid
Lieutenant

Postby McLeopold » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 pm

A difficulty arises when the planets to take are spread out. It is easy to calculate in how many turns you will regain the ships lost. It's not so easy to decide the best location for those new ships.

Suppose you have three planets on your left, and three planets on your right. If all the planets on your left look better, then you may send all of your ships there. But now, most of your growth is on the wrong side of the map and it needs to funnel over to the right side. It may have been better to split the forces to each side so that the new ships from growth is closer to what remains to be conquered.

Of course, the person who can solve this will also be able to spread themselves too thin faster than anyone. ;)
McLeopold
Contest Organizer

Previous

Return to Strategy