[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Scoring system

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm Advanced search

Scoring system

Share and discuss ideas for your entries here.

Scoring system

Postby bocadillodeatun » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi.

The top ten bots are really close one from another. Most of them win almost all the times and loss or draw a few of them.

I would like to know how the scoring system actually works to adjust the internal "risk factor" of my bot.

If points were assigned like this:

wins +2
draws +1
losses 0

I would tell my bot to take "less risk" (and go for the "draw" if in doubt) than if, for instance, the scoring system worked like in most soccer leagues:

wins +3
draws +1
losses 0

where it is worth to go for the win.

So... how does it work?

Thanks.
bocadillodeatun
Cadet

Re: Scoring system

Postby nuvw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

nuvw
Cadet

Postby bocadillodeatun » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks ! :)

(I swear I read the FAQ before asking... :$)
bocadillodeatun
Cadet

Postby halcyon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 am

have you thought about implementing a scoring-system like the ELO-system
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system )
which is used in chess or go?

It would have the benefit of focusing the games between players of similar playingstrength
and thus would lead to a faster converging ranking and a higher ratio of interesting games.
halcyon
Cadet

Postby dmj » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 am

Hi,

I think Elo or Glicko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system would make things even more interesting. There would be more work for the volunteers running this.

Making the matchups more likely to play another bot nearby in the leader board would be good. That may be less work to implement, and the good bots should get to play each other.

(Elo would be cool though...) :)
dmj
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby dutchflyboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree, an ELO scoring system would be better, as the rating you get really says something about your bot. For example, my bot once got up to the 21st place, to go down to the 150th place right afterward, it's half based on luck. And it would be nice if playing for draw wouldn't be punished so harshly. I mean, on my current bot I have won 30 times, lost once and 23 draws (almost all on "draw" boards). But the guy in front of me has 40 wins, 10 losses, and 6 draws. Is it encouraged that much to be really aggressive??
dutchflyboy
Colonel

Postby aipcaish » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Tron is also a game of perfect information. It might make more sense to use one of the above rating systems. I can't help but be curious, what kind of rankings and games (*more interesting*) this rating system would cause? :)
aipcaish
Lieutenant

Postby dutchflyboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Well, it would make a ranking where people above you beat you and people below lose from you (well, it won't be black/white, but you get the idea). It would also make the ranking self adjust faster and in a way that really means something:

In the current system it doesn't matter if I lose against the 2nd player or the 400th player, it's counted as a loss. This means that the rank depends on luck (against which players are you matched). However, beating a North-bot will give just as many points as beating the best player.

With the proposed system, if you beat the first player, your rank will go up more than if you beat the 400th player. This means that it matters less against who you play: if you're matched against the 1st and lose, well, that's just to be expected, as he's the best. It won't hurt your rank much.
dutchflyboy
Colonel

Postby a1k0n » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:44 pm

All I want right now is the ability to schedule a match with anyone ranked above you. Then the loss (to each of you) under the current system will probably be enough to affect the ranking, especially in the top 100, enough to swap places with the person above you.

This is more "interactive" and not as impartial as the current system, but it's fair -- you can't challenge someone way below you to get easy wins. I guess the issue with it is collusion, which I hope isn't a problem in the top 100.

So like, a "challenge" link on the leaderboard next to everyone above you when you're logged in, maybe with a little white glove icon.
a1k0n
Colonel

Postby barxool » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm

"challenge" button: +1

It would be great too if we were playing against player in the scoring neighborhood rather than player ranked 300 places below :)
actually top 100 is mostly sorted by the "have played against other top 100 players or not " ratio

cheers
barxool
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Strategy