[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AI Challenge Forums • View topic - Details on intended map generator for the final contest

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 am Advanced search

Details on intended map generator for the final contest

Random stuff about the contest, posts that don't fit in the other forums.

What mix of maps would your prefer?

Point Symmetric (current maps)
44%
Line Symmetric + Point Symmetric
21%
Even More Wild (like changing number of planets)
35%

Total votes : 34

Details on intended map generator for the final contest

Postby antimatroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:09 am

As you might have already noticed, the maps currently being used are radially symmetric, and as a consequence, players home planets were required to start in a position such that the line joining them intersected the center neutral planet. The map generator used to create these was never intended to be used for the entire contest, and it's time to work out exactly what form the maps used in the final tournament will take.

Quite a few of us are under the opinion that the maps are possibly more interesting by making them bilaterally symmetric, which also allows the angles at which the players start at not to be 180 degrees apart.

Here is a link to a zip file containing 20 randomly generated maps and a copy of the code used to generate them. It would be great to get some responses as to how people feel about this?
http://tinyurl.com/testmaps

Here are some of the specific details that maps geneated using this code will meet.
- There are 23 planets, with one neutral starting an equal distance from both players (termed the center neutral)
- The minimum distance between any two planets on a map is 2, the maximum distance is 24
- Players starting planets start with 100 ships and have 5 growth
- The growth on the centre neutral planet is between 0 and 5, all other neutrals have growth between 1 and 5
- Neutrals start with ships between 1 and 100, and there exists at least one neutral on your half of the map that you can claim without losing your home planet to RageBot.

Edit: It is also intended that a new set of maps will be generated for the final contest.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Re: Details on intended map generator for the final contest

Postby dimkadimon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 am

Although I would prefer more interesting maps to play with, I believe that it is too late in the contest to change them. People (such as myself) have written bots that are specifically geared to perform well on the current maps. It would be nice, but there is no guarantee that the same bots will perform well on the new maps. Changing the maps for the final tournament will give such people a disadvantage. With only a few weeks left, we will have no time to change our bots to meet the new maps and (more importantly) to test them rigorously. This is just my opinion.
dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby antimatroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:22 am

What do you mean keeping current maps? Even if the old generator were to be used, it is intended that fresh maps will be generated for the final contest. It was also never intended for the old generator to last this long, part of the reason I've gone and done all of this now is because no one else is and I want specifics finalised while I write my final revision.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby dimkadimon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:27 am

dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby antimatroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:32 am

The way I see it, it has never been specified that maps are to meet those requirements and the details of these contests have always been defined to encourage people to make the most general ai they can, making any assumptions about the rules is done at your own risk.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby bocsimacko » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 am

I actually like the look of the new maps, but not the play that emerges from the bases being closer to each other on average (is that true?). It certainly feels more standoffish and there is a lot of sideways movement. Anyway, as I said on irc I think it's a bit late to change the generator two weeks before the end of a three month contest.
bocsimacko
Major

Postby bocsimacko » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:37 am

bocsimacko
Major

Postby dimkadimon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:45 am

dimkadimon
Major-General

Postby antimatroid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:48 am

The minimum starting distance between planets can be increased, I originally set it at 7, but people in irc were happy with it at 2, given there was at least one neutral you could take. These maps are also a lot more general than the previous ones, which I would have thought would favour not giving bots with specific strengths an advantage.

With regards to changing two weeks before the end, it was always said the starting maps are just examples (the same was true for tron), that's what I am looking for here, Jeff had been talking about adding maps like these for a while.
antimatroid
Brigadier-General

Postby bocsimacko » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:04 am

Starting _maps_ were always intended as an example. The generator however was not defined. I asked two weeks ago to basically set the generator in stone to avoid this late charge.

Even if I don't have anything that explicitly relies on the changes we have tested on the old maps, optimized and discarded ideas based on those results.
bocsimacko
Major

Next

Return to Misc